SHE (Safety, Health and Environment)
The wind energy industry business cycle is multi-disciplinary and complex. Includes: wind mapping, infrastructure development, manufacturing and transportation of machines and parts, installation and commissioning, service of machines (min. 20 years) and power evacuation facilities; including dismantling and removal of the machine.
The hazards and risks associated with the business operations are significant, and dependent on various topographical, environmental and operational factors.
The hazards of operating in the wind energy business include:
- No accident and no harm to people.
- Environmental protection
- Risk management and near-miss management
- Care for all
- Difficult terrain in remote location (local/wildlife related hazards)
- Harsh environmental factors
- Lack of adequate basic/medical/emergency facilities in remote locations
- Sheer size of all components to be handled
- Working at height (parts/persons falling/crane failure/high wind velocity/installation/replacement of any major part)
- Risks from WEC and HV transmission installations (mechanical/electrical)
Wind World (India) Ltd. adopts a holistic and continual improvement approach to Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) aspects, in all spheres of operations.
SHE GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Value for human life above all else.
- Working together to proactively identify and eliminate or mitigate environmental, health and safety risks in the workplace.
- Zero tolerance for unsafe practices, or safety rules not being followed.
- Encourage employees, including contractual employees, to adopt a healthy, safe and environmentally conscious lifestyle.
- An aim to operate business in a safe, environmentally and socially responsible manner.
SHE VISION AND TARGETS:
- Fatalities - 0
- Accident frequency - reduction by 25%
- Near misses - measured & analysed
- Tool box safety talks > 1 per month, per team
- Safety committee meetings - 1 per quarter
- Contractor Safety Management implementation
- Induction Training - 100%
- Conservation of resources - water/electricity
- Waste generation reduction
- Disposal of hazardous waste - TSDF/authorized agencies
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive SHE management system based on OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001 standards and a sustainability program
SHE Aspects in Operations
The safety, health, environmental and social factors are inbuilt throughout all business aspects. The prime focus is on providing technically fool-proof engineering solutions, and control measures.
SHE-related risks are identified and control measures are built into the processes, for either eliminating or mitigation.
While establishing the feasibility of a wind-farm project, a review of the environmental impacts and safety hazards of the particular location is also included.
All SHE aspects have been taken care in the manufacturing process.
For e.g., the blade manufacturing process is a closed-loop vacuum infusion process, minimizing the chances of any fugitive emissions due to exothermic reaction of resin and hardener mixture.
Adequate lighting, roof ventilation and proper layout, ensures a safe and healthy working environment in manufacturing shops. All hazardous activities such as painting, H. V testing, etc., are suitably isolated and designed.
A centralized vacuum extraction system ensures that dust generated during the blade manufacturing process is automatically sucked and collected in dust bags, and clean air is let off in the atmosphere.
Uniforms and PPEs (Personnel Protective Equipment) specific to the type of activities being done are being worn by the employees, including respiratory masks, gloves, shoes, helmets, etc.,
Employees follow safe operating procedures, work permits, etc., and also undergo regular training on safety, environment and health aspects.
Periodic, comprehensive medical examinations of all employee are done and a proper record and follow-up action is maintained.
A comprehensive fire prevention system is in place, including a fire hydrant system, fire extinguishers and fire alarm systems.
Centralized sewage treatment plants, ensure that domestic effluents are disposed after treatment.
Proper segregation and disposal of all waste including hazardous waste is done by approved recyclers/waste processors.
Periodical safety inspection of work facilities and load testing of all cranes, lifting tools and tackles is being carried out.
Water and energy conservation measures are taken on an ongoing basis.
Appropriate packing, safe loading procedures, proper fleet management practices, etc., are followed, to minimize chances of damage of equipment, etc., up-to the site.
CONSTRUCTION AND OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE
Detailed safety guidelines with reference to technology and methodology to be adopted, personal protective equipment to be used, safety devices to be employed, etc., are available.
All these operational, maintenance and safety guidelines, protocols and work instructions are strictly followed. Special site, activity or issue based safety guidelines are also issued, on a need basis.
Proper equipment in terms of capacity and operational safety are used. Cranes, construction equipment, lifting tools and tackles, man baskets, etc., are put to use only after thorough inspection at the site.
Machine installation, maintenance, operational and safety aspects are verified by sampling audits by the Service Installation Quality Assurance department. Necessary corrective and preventive measures are implemented and monitored.
All new employees are provided adequate training on operational as well as SHE aspects either at the Wind World (India) Ltd. Training Academy, Daman, or at site before they are allowed to start the operations.
Refresher training on SHE, including general safety, work-related safety, fire training + drill, rescue training + drill, first Aid + drill, general and specific health education (e.g. back pain management), etc., is provided every year by the SHE team to all employees at sites.
After the training sessions, safety audits are carried out on the various activities of the sites. Based on the audit findings, suitable corrective and preventive actions are planned and implemented.
Use of appropriate PPEs such as helmets, gloves, eyewear, protective clothing, full body harnesses, safety shoes, etc., is a regular practice followed by all employees.
A six-monthly inspection of all PPEs, including safety harnesses, shock absorbing lanyards, etc.,, portable tools are done by site SHE representatives and records are maintained.
At every site and sub-station an emergency information system is in place, indicating the contact details of nearby health and fire services, as well as the communication chain to be followed in case of any emergency. An accident reporting and investigation system is followed. Corrective and preventive measures, if required are implemented and monitored.
First aid boxes are available atop all windmills and in site vehicles. Pre-employment as well as periodical medical check-ups of all employees are regularly done and appropriate employee counselling is also done with each employee, regarding their health status.
SHE Aspects in other Spheres
Corporate Office - Wind World Tower
Wind World (India) Ltd's corporate office is built on the 'green building' concept and has been awarded the 'Leed -Golden' status as per the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating system by the USGBC (US Green Building Council).
The salient features of this building include: environment friendly/bio-degradable construction material, energy efficient sensor-based lighting, user-based centralized air-conditioning system, water conservation systems, recycling of water, a centralized fire hydrant system, etc.,
NEW INITIATIVES AND SYSTEMS
Some of the new initiatives and systems implemented and currently under implementation are:
- Hazard identification and risk assessment system
- Comprehensive safety work instructions for Daman manufacturing facilities based on risk assessment.
- New near-miss/incident/accident reporting, investigation and sharing system.
- Comprehensive safety report submission by site personnel.
- Project/contractor safety system
- Introduction of safety tool box discussions at sites.
- Six Sigma project taken up jointly with the manufacturing and SHE department for reducing hazardous waste generation by 8-10 % in 2010-11.
- Development of comprehensive SHE management system as per OHSAS 18001 & ISO 14001 standards
MOTIVATIONAL PROGRAMS AND SOCIAL INITIATIVES
Fostering a culture of safety and health, by sensitizing employees and business associates, imparting requisite knowledge, skills and training and motivating them by recognizing and rewarding their safety related initiatives and behaviour, are a few of the proactive approaches adopted by Wind World (India) Ltd.
SHE awareness is achieved by organizing celebrations of the National Safety Week (including quizzes, fire/hydrant competitions, poster/slogan competitions), World Environment Day, Earth Day, World Heart Day, World Diabetics Day, World No Smoking Day, etc., and disseminating knowledge and information.
Wind World (India) Ltd. also organizes regular blood donation camps for supporting blood banks and nearby hospitals.